Advanced 911 Dispatching System

• Management

Incoming 911 Call v2.png

You may need to download the image above to see text in greater detail.

Hello everyone. I'm going to briefly discuss our current design process for a non traditional 911 dispatching system.

Why change things up? We felt the traditional 911 systems were both overly simplistic and flatly lazy in design. Instead of having a half baked automated 911 system, we decided to make a dope ass fully baked automated system that was a backup for our even more dope real-time dispatch system. Real-time system? Yes. Imagine....a world where real people answer the emergency line IN REAL TIME! Imagine no more. It's here....fucking finally. Ok it's concept but yes it's coming.

As you can see from above, our automated variant of the system is more robust, has more detailed information gathering, and diverts the information gathered to real people who can utilize the information and respond as applicable. The automated system works similarly to the traditional system as a backup of our intended design of real-time dispatching. The automated system is necessary for when real-time dispatchers are, unfortunately, not available. Bastards...get back to work! Automated information is relayed directly to law enforcement in the field.

Real-Time Dispatching System

Trained dispatchers will assess each unique situation and ask appropriate questions for that incident. Since these are real people, they are more able to adapt to unique circumstances. Were you pinned down by a rival motorcycle gang inside a storm drain in bum fuck Grapeseed? Is there simultaneously an obnoxious novice hit-man sexting you the Benelli he's planning to murder you with while the loan sharks you stupendously borrowed from are sending you pictures of your wife hog-tied over a shark tank? Then a real-time dispatcher is probably gonna help you a lot more than a stupid automated system!

Dispatchers will relay information gathered, as it is gathered, to law enforcement in the field. Law enforcement will be empowered to respond with more detailed information that is unique to that situation, rather than a useless traditionally frustrating and expected one-liner: "I fucking need useless police officers in Grapeseed. Some ass wipes are about to rap--"

That's neat. Lemme tell some police officers you need some useless police officers somewhere in Grapeseed and some ass wipes are about to rap. Seems legit.

OR. OR... With a live system. I can find out what I said in the first paragraph and send everyone we have available along with a helicopter SWAT team. I can pin down a precise location in Grapeseed, rather than sending a unit or two searching blindly all around the place. I can identify in specifics what the caller looks like as well as potentially what the assailants are wearing and what vehicles they're driving. I can let responding officers know to expect a possible armed conflict and possibly even articulate the type of weapons they'll be up against. I can begin to coordinate the setup of a perimeter for late responders. I can assign medical and / or fire to station nearby for rapid response.

Summary

A 911 call is rarely a static event. It's an ongoing situation that is in constant flux. The information provided in a static automated system is rarely sufficient, especially when something important with the emergency changes and first responders aren't notified of this change. In a real-time system a dispatcher can get updates from a caller immediately and relay them in real-time.

This is just one stupid scenario I came up with. Point is, a dispatcher can do all the things an automated system is incapable of. And that sounds cool as hell to me. Enjoy dispatching in a city and region in constant flux? One minute it's light duty and the next it's all hands on deck. Well, I hope you're ready for this. We've got a lot more to do, including a full dispatching UI.

It's not gonna happen all at once. All of it takes time; it's a process. But we'll get there and it'll be worth it when we do. Feel free to comment.

Balance

To anyone concerned about the balance of this. First: It's more realistic. That should be valuable to anyone seeking a realistic RP environment. Second: I think it's perfectly well balanced. In a real-time system more detailed and useful information is gathered but it's at a slower pace. Not only does a dispatcher have to gather information piece by piece from the caller, they also have to relay this information over the radio to responding officers. All of this takes more time than an automated system which provides a poor quantity and level of detail regarding information but at least provides that info quickly.

A dispatcher will seek to get a location from the caller first (this can be semi-automated if it's a landline), but know nothing else until the caller provides it. A dispatcher won't begin dispatching a resource until they're aware of at least the basics of the situation unfolding. Exactly what is happening? That will give a solid idea of the type of resource(s) to dispatch. Does the caller have reason to believe alternate resources are needed? Maybe. What insights would they have on this? Maybe an accident occurred and the caller believes a vehicle is about to fully engulf in fire. The dispatcher may rightly decide to assign additional fire resources to this call. Dispatchers may be trained but they're not omniscient. They require information from the caller (or first responders if on scene) to be successful.

From an ancient server I operated on SA:MP far too long ago for me to admit:
*Person calls 911*
*Dispatcher (me) answers, requests location, and asks additional questions.*
*911 caller:* "Holy shit is this a real person?!"
*Dispatcher (also me):* "Ye....yes. Th...this is a real person....."
*911 caller:*

the-office-michael-shocked-surprised-amazed-gif.gif