Vehicle system

• Tester

Every single server has an awful vehicle system, some better, some disgusting, but not a single one has the system where cars actually matter, where you're forced to actually take care of the car not use it as another asset. I'm working on the dealerships so I've been asking around, looking into all that vehicle system, so let's start from the beginning.
I might be update the post if I get more ideas.

1. Dealerships and buying a car.
1.1 Dealerships should have a limited amount of cars in stock, especially Luxury Autos and Vinewood Autos, all those expensive cars will be 1/1 or 2/2.
1.2 Ability to take the car for a test drive. I'd not want it to have a timer nor shit like car disappearing at some point, so I'd say you leave an item of your choice(Credit card, phone, old car if it's value is close to the car you're testing etc), so you leave an item, go for a quick test, come back get the item back.
1.3 Buying from an official high end dealer has it's perks, for example buying from Luxury Autos gives you a short insurance as an extra or gives you a license plate for free, this show that buying from quality places has its perks.
1.4 Dealerships are different, some sell brand new cars, some sell used and new, some mostly used. If you buy a used car it already has the license plate. If you buy a brand new car, you'll also need to buy a license plate.

2. Buying from a player
2.1 NO /sellmycar ID bullshit. You show your car to another player, they agree to buy it, you go to the DMV and you officially change the official owner for a small fee there. It's also up to the seller whether they leave it insured or take the insurance and get paid a little percentage(For example, insurance for a month, they sell it in the middle of the month, gets paid 50% if they decide to take the insurance)

3. Owning a new car.
3.1 So you have your new car, what's next?
a) Visit DMV and register it to your name.
b) If dealership did not provide you with a license plate, get this as well.
c) Insure your vehicle - If your uninsured vehicle gets stolen or totalled, it's gone forever - TAKE CARE OF YOUR CAR. Insurance price should depend on the price of your car and your experience as a driver, if your character has had licenses for longer, insurance is cheaper.
d) No /vpark anywhere - You will only be able to park on a public parking lot(lower price), public garage(Higher price) or at your home. Cops will have the ability to see a list of all parked vehicles, they see the plate nr, model and the owner. - this helps to avoid wanted cars from being hidden in public garages.

3.2 Another thing with taking care of your car, make people fear of it being stolen, not just wait for the server restart and get it back.

This is kinda thread for some ideas, feel free to add more in the comments or comment on my ideas etc. End product should be a system, where cars are not just another thing, this is one of two biggest assets a player could earn in RP, so it should show in the server.

• Like 1
  • Management

Yes I agree, there's a near infinite number of improvements on vehicle purchases and ownership systems we could make since in the past there's been barely any thought put into it.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, Lance said:

1.1 Dealerships should have a limited amount of cars in stock, especially Luxury Autos and Vinewood Autos, all those expensive cars will be 1/1 or 2/2.

Agreed. Numbers not final but yes. I am hesitant to limit stock on more 'basic' vehicles but on higher end ones, definitely.

1.2 Ability to take the car for a test drive. I'd not want it to have a timer nor shit like car disappearing at some point, so I'd say you leave an item of your choice(Credit card, phone, old car if it's value is close to the car you're testing etc), so you leave an item, go for a quick test, come back get the item back.

Yes, absolutely. I had similar thoughts on test driving. I am in favor of limiting test drives to 30 minutes with a 10 minute late window where a fee is charged (possibly) for being late. After an additional 10 minute window (50 minutes) the vehicle will be flagged as stolen. The test driver will have ample warning before any of this progresses that far. If they could prove exigent circumstances of some kind then any charges may be set aside.

I would say you do not leave an item of your choice; rather you leave any form of government issued ID. This could be a driver's license, passport, or other form of govt ID. Since police will have MDC to check that you have a driver's license even if it's not on you, it's not a problem. Plus, test driven vehicles will be clearly indicated as such.

1.3 Buying from an official high end dealer has it's perks, for example buying from Luxury Autos gives you a short insurance as an extra or gives you a license plate for free, this show that buying from quality places has its perks.

I am in favor of higher end dealers providing perks and a free permanent license plate makes sense. Other dealers will provide what we generally call a paper plate which is temporary and is typically good for 30-90 days depending on where you live. The new car owner is then required to source their own permanent plate.

I am not in favor of a vehicle dealer of any kind being able to supply insurance of any amount or length due to the lack of realism. But I get the intent of the idea. I would like to substitute something else for that. X number of free vehicle maintenance up to a maximum amount of money at a mechanic of their choice. How that's implemented is another question. Higher end dealers could also offer free car washes or detailing but that may not really be worthwhile or noticeable in-game. I'm sure we can think of some other perks that aren't too unrealistic.

1.4 Dealerships are different, some sell brand new cars, some sell used and new, some mostly used. If you buy a used car it already has the license plate. If you buy a brand new car, you'll also need to buy a license plate.

I discussed some of this above. Used cars having plates makes sense but of course the new owner has to be fully and officially transferred to that plate before the finalization of any vehicle trade. Often it's easier that the buyer of the used car provides their own plate and AFAIK that's traditionally how it's done. I don't much care how it's done as long as the plates indicate the current owner.

For new vehicles, they will either come with a permanent plate with new owner info attached or a temporary paper plate and the owner will need to source a permanent plate.

2.1 NO /sellmycar ID bullshit. You show your car to another player, they agree to buy it, you go to the DMV and you officially change the official owner for a small fee there. It's also up to the seller whether they leave it insured or take the insurance and get paid a little percentage(For example, insurance for a month, they sell it in the middle of the month, gets paid 50% if they decide to take the insurance)

IRL you can sell a vehicle to someone else anywhere you want, doesn't have to be at the DMV. The important thing is that the proper paperwork is filled out and the title is transferred officially to the new owner. I sold my old '95 Crown Vic in the driveway at my old place. Took my permanent plate off and they put theirs on. Paperwork then done, easy.

With that said, I'm not opposed to the idea of us having an IC law that requires all vehicle trades to be conducted at the DMV. In fact, I kind of like that idea even if it's not particularly realistic...it's also not entirely unrealistic.

3.1 So you have your new car, what's next?
a) Visit DMV and register it to your name.

This should be done before the new vehicle is driven off the lot. All this nonsense of people driving around with no plates on their car is idiotic honestly. IRL the dealership processes a LOT of information before you can just legally drive a vehicle off their lot.

c) Insure your vehicle - If your uninsured vehicle gets stolen or totalled, it's gone forever - TAKE CARE OF YOUR CAR. Insurance price should depend on the price of your car and your experience as a driver, if your character has had licenses for longer, insurance is cheaper.

Agreed. And I'd like us to have different vehicle insurance tiers. The different tiers will have a varying cost and pay out different percentages of the total cost of your vehicle if it's stolen or totaled. Eventually I'd like to see at fault drivers take an insurance hit just like IRL but that's not something we're going for this early.

d) No /vpark anywhere - You will only be able to park on a public parking lot(lower price), public garage(Higher price) or at your home. Cops will have the ability to see a list of all parked vehicles, they see the plate nr, model and the owner. - this helps to avoid wanted cars from being hidden in public garages.

Very much agree. Fuck /vpark and how much it gets abused. People /vparking in pursuits while jumping off a damn canyon. No.

In the short term it should be possible for us to simply not let vehicles despawn. In the longer term, I'm not sure. It'll depend a lot upon alt:V stability and how many vehicles people own on the server. I don't like the idea of vehicles being able to be despawned but this does rely on other systems working optimally and not having rampant unrealistic amounts of vehicle theft.

One thing we could do is that if a player is offline their vehicle simply can't be stolen and this would be indicated to any would-be thief. That vehicle thief can simply move on to a vehicle where the player is online.

Another productive post where you've given me some ideas. I'm gonna start building a map for these ideas and features. 👍

Edited by Sern
Strikethru text.
  • Like 1
  • Tester
22 hours ago, Sern said:

In the short term it should be possible for us to simply not let vehicles despawn. In the longer term, I'm not sure. It'll depend a lot upon alt:V stability and how many vehicles people own on the server. I don't like the idea of vehicles being able to be despawned but this does rely on other systems working optimally and not having rampant unrealistic amounts of vehicle theft.

Downside of leaving everything spawned and not letting people steal cars of offline players is that people who want to steal a car have to run around and guess what car can/can't be stolen, being told by a script. Ideally yes, all cars always spawned, but it might also affect stability, if server has 200 players for example, some own two cars, we're looking at like 300 vehicles spawned on the map at the same time, hopefully server/people's PCs can handle it. but one good fix for criminals to be able to take any car, even when the owner is offline:
* If we decide to have public parking garages and owner logs off with the car parked there(for a fee), it's safe, RPly, those parking garages/lots are being watched by cameras and secured by either LSPD or Security companies/same goes to houses, parked close to the house you own, it's safe.
* If player decided to leave car anywhere else, it can be stolen , if they logged off.
* If player is online their car can be stolen any time perhaps.

23 hours ago, Sern said:

With that said, I'm not opposed to the idea of us having an IC law that requires all vehicle trades to be conducted at the DMV. In fact, I kind of like that idea even if it's not particularly realistic...it's also not entirely unrealistic.

I just thought that DMV should have more uses to it other than take a driving test. And for me IRL, you can buy a car from another person, but you have to go to DMV to officially get the ownership. So DMV could be used in more ways.

23 hours ago, Sern said:

I am not in favor of a vehicle dealer of any kind being able to supply insurance of any amount or length due to the lack of realism. But I get the intent of the idea. I would like to substitute something else for that. X number of free vehicle maintenance up to a maximum amount of money at a mechanic of their choice. How that's implemented is another question. Higher end dealers could also offer free car washes or detailing but that may not really be worthwhile or noticeable in-game. I'm sure we can think of some other perks that aren't too unrealistic.

It's realistic though, at least here, some dealers can sell you a new car with insurance, might be special deals with  insurance companies perhaps. If we had a player owned insurance company and a player owned dealership, it would be super cool to see those deals between them.

• Management
On 4/6/2020 at 2:08 PM, Lance said:

Downside of leaving everything spawned and not letting people steal cars of offline players is that people who want to steal a car have to run around and guess what car can/can't be stolen, being told by a script. Ideally yes, all cars always spawned, but it might also affect stability, if server has 200 players for example, some own two cars, we're looking at like 300 vehicles spawned on the map at the same time, hopefully server/people's PCs can handle it. but one good fix for criminals to be able to take any car, even when the owner is offline:
* If we decide to have public parking garages and owner logs off with the car parked there(for a fee), it's safe, RPly, those parking garages/lots are being watched by cameras and secured by either LSPD or Security companies/same goes to houses, parked close to the house you own, it's safe.
* If player decided to leave car anywhere else, it can be stolen , if they logged off.

Yes I anticipated some of the down sides of not allowing offline player vehicles to be stolen. I figured we could have a very simple pop up when you get very close to an unoccupied vehicle that simply says (offline) over it. That way you just simply stand near and look at the vehicle to determine if it can be stolen.

Once our overall features are more robust and have had more time to develop I would consider the theft of offline player vehicles. But for now I have envisioned far too many problematic scenarios coming from it that would require far too much admin intervention and time spent figuring out who did what.

We have to remember that our theft system isn't meant to be temporary like many other servers and communities. If your vehicle is stolen, the only way you get it back is finding it yourself, using a tracking device, or law enforcement assistance. If a player is online they may get a notification that their vehicle alarm went off and the GPS shows the vehicle is on the move. If they're offline this will never have an opportunity to happen and they may not even know for days their vehicle was stolen if they don't login daily.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:08 PM, Lance said:

It's realistic though, at least here, some dealers can sell you a new car with insurance, might be special deals with  insurance companies perhaps. If we had a player owned insurance company and a player owned dealership, it would be super cool to see those deals between them.

Yeah maybe I'm wrong on this. Either way, if it's a thing in some places, there's no reason we couldn't do it. So yeah, scrap what I said on this. I still like the idea of providing free maintenance and other simple things like that. But sounds to me like maybe we should just provide an insurance option for anyone buying any car as part of the purchase process.