Vehicle Mileage, Damage, & Maintenance

• Management

1) Mileage

This variant will have effects on both player decision and vehicle cores. As in real life, when a car reaches certain mileage, the price goes down depending on the condition. This is totally up to the players themselves to come up with a price that they think is fair. Naturally as the car gains mileage, the parts begin to deteriorate and performance goes down. The mileage of the vehicle will be determined by the mileage driven around the map (duh..). Maintenance will be required per-said miles driven to prevent further damage to the vehicle.  To display the mileage (aside the maintenance), an odometer should be read either through /vstats or /odo. In this case, I think /vstats or /odo should be made public to anyone who enters a vehicle. This will make it easy for mechanics and buyers to look at the specs of the vehicles. If not, a command that will let you show others your vehicle stats: /vshowstats 

2) Maintenance

Regular maintenance would be required to keep the vehicle running smoothly. Maintenance can be done by a mechanic at a shop. To not over-complicate the system, one maintenance job can be done per-said miles instead of having multiple (oil, filter, etc.). This however, can be roleplayed. As to how much maintenance a vehicle would need, I'd say 3000 miles would be reasonable before the vehicle start seeing visible collateral damage. After the first 3000 miles, the vehicle will start to display signs of wear & tear. Once maintenance is done, the vehicle should be restored and the maintenance meter would be reset. This would work similar to the taxation system.

Here is a suggested maintenance damage sequence:
3000 Miles: Vehicle begins to sway (or pull) to a side.
5000 Miles: Vehicle begins to misfire and start losing speed/acceleration (Not by much).
6500 Miles: Vehicle begins to misre and starts losing speed/acceleration dramatically.
7500 Miles: Vehicle begins to have random shutos due to lack of oil and cooling.
8000 Miles: Engine damage starts to set in at 35% per 20 miles driven.

3) Damage

So here we are. Damage. Generally put, this can be based on either a percentage system and/or per part system. I'd vision that using parts to display and portray vehicle damage would work similar to how the weapon & hit point system work. 

3.1) If going for the per part system, here is a list of parts that I recommend that could aect how the car handles and performs, adding the overall percentage:

a) Tires: Deteriorate overtime naturally with use. Reduced speed and acceleration.

b) Axle/Suspension: If the car goes over a bump too hard or gets in an accident, this would make the car pull left or right.

c) Engine/Transmission: If the car gets in a huge accident or anything hits the engine block or area, it could potentially reflect major damage and the vehicle could either stall, keep turning off, or not turn on at all.

3.1.2) If going for a single percentage system, here is a sequence that I recommend for damage collateral:
*From 100% health to 0% health *

a) 99-91% - Nothing.
b) 90-75% - Vehicle begins to pull to the side.
d) 39-8% - Vehicle shuts down more frequently and takes longer to start back up.
e) 7-0% - Vehicle is basically not drive-able and will have to be towed and/or restored by a mechanic.

3.3) Insurance
To make use of the current insurance system, players should be able to have their cars fixed by insurance after paying a deductible of 30% based on the tier needed. I am working on an idea to expand the insurance system so players would be able to choose packages, etc. Any contribution is appreciated.

• Tester
47 minutes ago, Smilez said:

1) Mileage

This variant will have effects on both player decision and vehicle cores. As in real life, when a car reaches certain mileage, the price goes down depending on the condition. This is totally up to the players themselves to come up with a price that they think is fair. Naturally as the car gains mileage, the parts begin to deteriorate and performance goes down. The mileage of the vehicle will be determined by the mileage driven around the map (duh..). Maintenance will be required per-said miles driven to prevent further damage to the vehicle.  To display the mileage (aside the maintenance), an odometer should be read either through /vstats or /odo. In this case, I think /vstats or /odo should be made public to anyone who enters a vehicle. This will make it easy for mechanics and buyers to look at the specs of the vehicles. If not, a command that will let you show others your vehicle stats: /vshowstats 

Agreed, /vstats should show all the info about the vehicle, mileage, last maintenance(How many miles ago), name, VIN code etc
Mileage should be shown on the hud, somewhere next to speed as well. Also, main display should show miles, but somewhere under kilometers as well.

51 minutes ago, Smilez said:

2) Maintenance

Regular maintenance would be required to keep the vehicle running smoothly. Maintenance can be done by a mechanic at a shop. To not over-complicate the system, one maintenance job can be done per-said miles instead of having multiple (oil, filter, etc.). This however, can be roleplayed. As to how much maintenance a vehicle would need, I'd say 3000 miles would be reasonable before the vehicle start seeing visible collateral damage. After the first 3000 miles, the vehicle will start to display signs of wear & tear. Once maintenance is done, the vehicle should be restored and the maintenance meter would be reset. This would work similar to the taxation system.

Here is a suggested maintenance damage sequence:
5000 Miles: Vehicle begins to misfire and start losing speed/acceleration (Not by much).
6500 Miles: Vehicle begins to misre and starts losing speed/acceleration dramatically.
7500 Miles: Vehicle begins to have random shutos due to lack of oil and cooling.
8000 Miles: Engine damage starts to set in at 35% per 20 miles driven.

Another good idea, here where I live, there's those yearly checkups, costs money, if you fail, your car is not allowed on the road, could have those checkups here as well, just go to a mechanic(every mech has his own price), they do a quick check - engine/transmission, tires, brakes etc(depends on how in depth we want this system to be, 3 things would be enough to avoid making the system too complicated).
About miles though, numbes are great, but I'd say reduce the amount, for example:
8000 Miles: Vehicle begins to have random shutos due to lack of oil and cooling. - there's that cool effect where a lot of smoke comes out of the exhaust and sparkles from under the car or something, will update my post if I find it.

1 hour ago, Smilez said:

3) Damage

So here we are. Damage. Generally put, this can be based on either a percentage system and/or per part system. I'd vision that using parts to display and portray vehicle damage would work similar to how the weapon & hit point system work. 

3.1) If going for the per part system, here is a list of parts that I recommend that could act how the car handles and performs, adding the overall percentage:

a) Tires: Deteriorate overtime naturally with use. Reduced speed and acceleration.

b) Axle/Suspension: If the car goes over a bump too hard or gets in an accident, this would make the car pull left or right.

c) Engine/Transmission: If the car gets in a huge accident or anything hits the engine block or area, it could potentially reflect major damage and the vehicle could either stall, keep turning off, or not turn on at all.

3.1.2) If going for a single percentage system, here is a sequence that I recommend for damage collateral:
*From 100% health to 0% health *

a) 99-91% - Nothing.
b) 90-75% - Vehicle begins to pull to the side.
d) 39-8% - Vehicle shuts down more frequently and takes longer to start back up.
e) 7-0% - Vehicle is basically not drive-able and will have to be towed and/or restored by a mechanic.

3.3) Insurance
To make use of the current insurance system, players should be able to have their cars fixed by insurance after paying a deductible of 30% based on the tier needed. I am working on an idea to expand the insurance system so players would be able to choose packages, etc. Any contribution is appreciated.

I'd say percentage system just because it's easier.